END TIME BIBLE PROPHECIES HAPPENING NOW & THE ROAD TO CHRIST (YAHSHUA)
src="http://ra.revolvermaps.com/0/0/1.js?i=0s5awg5quen&m=7&s=320&c=e63100" async="async"></script>
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031    

Calendar Calendar

Latest Topice
Latest Topics
Topic
History
Written by
{classical_row.recent_topic_row.L_TITLE}
{ON} {classical_row.recent_topic_row.S_POSTTIME}
{classical_row.recent_topic_row.switch_poster.S_POSTER} {classical_row.recent_topic_row.switch_poster_guest.S_POSTER} {classical_row.recent_topic_row.switch_poster.S_POSTER}

Latest Topice
Latest Topics
Topic
History
Written by
{classical_row.recent_topic_row.L_TITLE}
{ON} {classical_row.recent_topic_row.S_POSTTIME}
{classical_row.recent_topic_row.switch_poster.S_POSTER} {classical_row.recent_topic_row.switch_poster_guest.S_POSTER} {classical_row.recent_topic_row.switch_poster.S_POSTER}

Visitors
Flag Counter

U.S.-backed, Saudi-led coalition found responsible for Yemen funeral attack that killed more than 100

View previous topic View next topic Go down

U.S.-backed, Saudi-led coalition found responsible for Yemen funeral attack that killed more than 100

Post by Harry on Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:21 am


Middle East

U.S.-backed, Saudi-led coalition found responsible for Yemen funeral attack that killed more than 100

A forensic expert investigates the scene at a funeral hall on Oct. 10, two days after Saudi-led airstrikes hit it in Sanaa, Yemen. (Yahya Arhab/European Pressphoto Agency)
By Sudarsan Raghavan October 15 at 8:10 AM

CAIRO — A Saudi Arabia-led investigation into an airstrike last week on a Yemeni funeral has concluded that Saudi-led coalition jets “wrongly” bombed the ceremony, killing more than 100 people, after receiving faulty information and not following proper procedures.

In a statement Saturday, the Joint Incidents Assessment Team based in the Saudi capital, Riyadh, said that “a party affiliated” with the chief of staff of Yemen’s president, Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi, “wrongly passed information that there was a gathering of” armed rebel Houthi leaders in the Yemeni capital, Sanaa, on Oct. 8.

The party, the investigators said, “insisted that the location be targeted immediately as a legitimate military target.”

But the coalition’s air operations center ordered the attack “without obtaining approval from the Coalition command to support legitimacy and without following the Coalition command’s precautionary measures to ensure that the location is not a civilian one that may not be targeted,” the statement said. A coalition aircraft then “carried out the mission.”

[Airstrike kills more than 100, injures hundreds at Yemen funeral]

“JIAT has found that because of noncompliance with Coalition rules of engagement and procedures, and the issuing of incorrect information a Coalition aircraft wrongly targeted the location, resulting in civilian deaths and injuries,” the statement said.

Mohammed Atbukhaiti, a senior Houthi official, welcomed the findings but said they showed how the coalition is “disorganized and reckless” and treats “the lives of the Yemeni people in a careless and disrespectful manner.” He urged the United Nations and the international community to independently investigate other human rights violations.

“This has not been the first incident where the Sandi-led coalition has targeted civil gatherings, killing and injuring large numbers of civilians,” he said.

Last Saturday’s attack on the Grand Hall, one of the most prominent venues in the Yemeni capital, was one of the deadliest single assaults of the 20-month civil war that has upended the Middle East’s poorest nation. At least three airstrikes hit crowds of mourners gathered inside the complex for a funeral for the father of a senior official in the Houthi administration.

The bombings killed senior officials and scores of civilians. Houthi administration officials said the number of dead was 135, while the United Nations placed the death toll at 140. Other media have reported the figure as 155. Hundreds more were wounded and remain in hospitals, many in critical condition.

Initially, the Saudi-led coalition denied that its warplanes carried out the strikes. But a day later it called the attack “regrettable and painful” and launched the investigation. The reversal came hours after the Obama administration expressed grave concern about the strikes and said it had launched a review of its “already significantly reduced support” to the Saudi-led coalition, declaring that U.S. support to the kingdom “is not a blank check.”

[U.S. support to Saudi Arabia to hinge on Yemen cease-fire]

The Obama administration has come under fire from human rights groups and lawmakers for its backing of Saudi Arabia’s air campaign, which has routinely targeted hospitals and other civilian areas.

Tensions between Washington and the Houthis have grown in the past week. The United States accused the rebels of firing missiles at a Navy guided-missile destroyer last Sunday and Wednesday, attacks that failed. On Thursday, the United States retaliated by launching cruise missiles that destroyed three coastal radar sites controlled by the Houthis.

On one side of Yemen’s war is an alliance of Houthi rebels and loyalists of former Yemeni president Ali Abdullah Saleh. On the other is Hadi, Yemen’s elected president, who is backed by Saudi Arabia, the United States and their allies. Hadi fled to the southern port city of Aden last year after the Houthis seized Sanaa.

Saudi Arabia then entered the conflict in an attempt to restore Hadi to power. The Sunni Muslim monarchy has long been concerned about the Shiite Houthis and their links to its main regional rival, Iran’s Shiite theocracy.

Thousands of people, mostly civilians, have been killed in the war, according to the United Nations. Millions more are suffering from hunger, illness and displacement as a humanitarian disaster grips the nation.

Human rights groups have accused the Saudi-led coalition of gross violations, which Riyadh has denied. The Houthis have also been accused of such abuses as recruiting child soldiers and forced disappearances of its opponents.

In its statement, the Saudi-led investigation team, which includes members of the coalition as well as American experts, said that the Coalition needed to take appropriate action against “those who caused the incident, and that compensation must be offered to the families of the victims.” It also urged coalition forces to review the rules of engagement for future operations.

At the same time, investigators claimed that some parties had “used this erroneous bombing to increase the number of victims,” adding that they were still gathering and analyzing data to determine the toll from the attack.

Sheikha Aldosary in Riyadh and Ali
Al-Mujahed in Sanaa contributed to this report.

Read more:

Five years after she won the Nobel Peace Prize, her nation is riven by war

A cluster bomb made in America shattered lives in Yemen’s capital

Today’s coverage from Post correspondents around the world

Harry
Admin
Admin

Posts : 20639
Points : 62100
Join date : 2015-05-02
Age : 89
Location : United States

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum