END TIME BIBLE PROPHECIES HAPPENING NOW & THE ROAD TO CHRIST (YAHSHUA)
src="http://ra.revolvermaps.com/0/0/1.js?i=0s5awg5quen&m=7&s=320&c=e63100" async="async"></script>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

src="http://ra.revolvermaps.com/0/0/1.js?i=0s5awg5quen&m=7&s=320&c=e63100" async="async"></script>
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Latest Topice
Latest Topics
Topic
History
Written by
{classical_row.recent_topic_row.L_TITLE}
{ON} {classical_row.recent_topic_row.S_POSTTIME}
{classical_row.recent_topic_row.switch_poster.S_POSTER} {classical_row.recent_topic_row.switch_poster_guest.S_POSTER} {classical_row.recent_topic_row.switch_poster.S_POSTER}

Latest Topice
Latest Topics
Topic
History
Written by
{classical_row.recent_topic_row.L_TITLE}
{ON} {classical_row.recent_topic_row.S_POSTTIME}
{classical_row.recent_topic_row.switch_poster.S_POSTER} {classical_row.recent_topic_row.switch_poster_guest.S_POSTER} {classical_row.recent_topic_row.switch_poster.S_POSTER}

Visitors
Flag Counter

IDOLATRY VERSES ENTERTAINMENT

Go down

IDOLATRY VERSES ENTERTAINMENT Empty IDOLATRY VERSES ENTERTAINMENT

Post by CJB Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:15 pm

IDOLATRY VERSES ENTERTAINMENT

What’s the difference between idolatry and entertainment? Idolatry is when you idolize or treat something or someone as an idol, and entertainment is something you do to fill in time or amuse yourself.
So, that’s a no-brainer you say! True, but it’s when we blur the lines between them that we attract Gods attention!! Think 2cnd commandment? (Exodus 20:4) Is there a problem with watching a movie, listening to music or watching sports on TV or at a venue, to entertain ourselves? Well, there would be if we deify the movie star, pop star or sports star; in other words worship them, or put them on a ‘pedestal’ to revere them, which seems to be the case a lot of the time these days?!
As Paul said in 1Corinthians 8:5&6, “For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as there are many gods and lords), yet for us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things”.

This doesn’t mean we have to get rid of family photos and knick knacks (ornaments) but it does mean not to have anything that represents a deity. Some of these are crucifixes (we don’t know what Jesus looked like?) statues of Mary (the Bible doesn’t tell us to revere her) and statues of any person or animal we might be tempted to revere. As is said in Jeremiah 8:19, “why have they provoked me to anger, with their carved images – with foreign idols”.
Walk into a cathedral and you will see what I mean!!! Idolizing movie, pop or sports stars, instead of just watching them perform, moves away from just entertainment.
God gave us the 2cnd commandment to get us to worship Him and Jesus Christ in ‘spirit’, not with physical things, and we are also told not to bow to people, as we do to certain dignitaries. Read the instruction by Peter in Acts 10:25&26.
Also Revelations 19:10.

When you pray or talk to God do it from the heart and mind, through Jesus Christ, not via a priest, alter, crucifix or anything physical. Jesus explained how to do this in Mathew 6:5to18. Some of the smaller Christian religions use a plain building with no fancy equipment, which is the way it should be! Even just praying at home with the family is ok, as Jesus also said in Math 18:20 “for where two or three are gathered together in my name, I am there in the midst of them”.
We all know that idolatry originated in the Old Testament and was a problem for the Israelites, but what about the New Testament? Well, it’s mentioned on 14 different occasions from Acts to Revelations!! Idolatry and covetousness appear to be one and the same thing, according to Paul in Colossians 3:5.
So, it’s obvious that God doesn’t want us to get distracted with ‘idol type’ objects, so, He kept reminding us throughout the Bible!!! This should be food for thought about Santa and Christmas trees and associated items on Dec. 25th, and eggs and rabbits etc. at Easter.
We have to be careful about pagan celebrations of any kind.
So, be careful how you pray!
Peace to all,
Colin Bowater.

CJB

Back to top Go down